On Friday, September 29, 2017, we celebrated 25 years of Pops on the Heights: The Barbara and Jim Cleary Scholarship Gala. From the first note to the last, the joy in Conte Forum was palpable. This milestone event, marked especially for the opportunity it brings to so many deserving students, would not have been possible without you. Your financial support and your enthusiastic participation are what made the evening—and the program—the great success that it was.
There are few gifts more precious than that of an education. This year's record-breaking landmark gala raised more than $14 million for the Pops Scholarships, making a Boston College education possible for over 476 students. In the 25 years since its inception, Pops on the Heights has raised $50 million in Pops scholarships for over 2,000 students.
Pops on the Heights is more than a concert once a year. Choosing to sponsor a Pops Scholar through The Barbara and Jim Cleary Scholarship Gala program can be done at any time of the year. If you are interested in becoming a Pops Benefactor, please contact Peggy McCorkle at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-552-1055.
Launched by the legendary Jim Cleary '50, H'93, P'84 '89, Pops on the Heights began with a simple but powerful mission: to bring the BC family together for a night of great music in support of financial aid. From the very beginning, Pops has been an opportunity to demonstrate what we are capable of as a community when we come together as "Eagles for Others." When Jim passed away in 2012, the baton was passed to John Fish, P'13, '18, and a succession of incredible leaders since. Thanks to the hard work of the Pops Executive Committee and its chairs, the 25th gala event was the most successful Pops on the Heights ever!
2017 Pops On the Heights Chairs
- David P. O'Connor '86 and Maureen A. O'Connor, P'16, '18
- Philip W. Schiller '82 and Kim D. Gassett-Schiller
- Charles I. Clough Jr. '64 and Gloria L. Clough, MDiv'90, MS'96, P'87, '93, '98
- John F. Fish and Cyndy G. Fish, P'13, '18
- Jim Cleary '50, H'93, P'84, '89
- Marc R. Brutten and Patricia M. Brutten P'16, '18
- Drake G. Behrakis '86 and Maria E. Behrakis
- Patrick Carney '70 and Lillian B. Carney, P'95, '98, '99, '05
- James F. Cleary Jr., P'18, '21
- Kara Lyn Cleary '84, MA'91
- Janice Gipson '77 and James Gipson
- John P. Heffnernan '62 and June D. Heffernan, P'87, '89, '90, '98, '01, '03
- Joseph L. Hooley III '79 and Linda S. Holley, P'10
- Raymond T. Mancini '60, MBA'11, and Ann T. Mancini P'81, '83, '84
- Carmine A. Martignetti '76 and Beth V. Martignetti '76
- Tami M. Murray '83, P'09, '15, '19
- Mary S. and Edmund H. Shea Jr. Family
- Susan Martinelli Shea '76, P'04
- Kristin Cleary Welo '89, JD'93, and Tobias Welo
- Michael D. White '74 and Susan L. White, P'95
- Wendy Wyrwa Esposito '87 and Michael P. Esposito III, P'18
- Alfred F. Kelly Jr. and Margaret P. Kelly, P'09, '11, '13, '16