Job Shadow Program
boston college career center
Experience a Day in the Life of (insert your choice here).
Open to all majors and class years, the Boston College Career Center Job Shadow program pairs undergraduates with individual host sites for a day-long immersion experience over Winter Break. Over the course of a day, you'll gain valuable exposure into a field of interest as well as mentorship from working professionals in the industry—leaving the program with new insight and contacts.
Join us in January 2019
Registration opens November 2018
Why participate in a job shadow?
1. You will connect with alumni and employers
2. You will gain insight into what it would be like to work in an organization on a day-to-day basis
3. You will observe client/customer interactions and sit in on staff meetings
4. You will discuss your career pursuits and aspirations with professionals
Over 270 employer hosts, including:
- U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security
- Digitas LBi
- Success Academy Charter Schools
- Michael Kors
- Brigham & Women's Hospital
- 85% of hosts were Boston College alumni
- Hosts were located across the country in 27 different states
- Hosts represented all 9 industry clusters
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have additional questions beyond what is listed below, please email email@example.com.
Each shadow opportunity is for one day between designated dates in January 2019.
Yes! As long as the shadow opportunities are on different days and you are able to arrive on time to each host site. The application will ask you how many shadows you would like to complete.
In the advanced search function to search hosts by industry, click on “More Filters” then under “Primary Industry Cluster (Job Shadow Openings)” select industries of interest. Hold down the “Ctrl” button to select more than one.
- You can select state(s) and shadow dates in advanced search "More Filters" as well.
- Ignore the “Job Shadow Flag” selection.
There is not funding available for completing Job Shadows. If financial burden would prevent you from completing a Job Shadow in your area, please apply for a shadow and contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your specific question once you’ve been matched.
You are able to select up to three job shadows of interest when you apply. Our matching process will make every attempt to match you in at least one of your top three choices.
Students are matched based upon their industry and shadow experience preferences as well as the criteria of the hosting organization.
You will be contacted by a member of the Career Center staff with your job shadow match details by late November.
Yes. Once you are matched, you will be able to request early-move in on the Agora Portal.
There will be mandatory job shadow orientation sessions following Thanksgiving break that will help prepare you. The session will include questions to ask during the day, what to wear, how to follow-up, etc. For now, make a transportation plan and conduct initial research about the industry and company you would like to shadow.
Your host’s contact information will be emailed to you following your attendance at the orientation session.
We strongly encourage students to attend all job shadows that they have been matched with. Please email your Job Shadow host directly, and CC email@example.com at least 48 hours in advance. Failure to honor this commitment can result in loss of EagleLink access. In replacement of your job shadow experience, we ask you to reflect on the following questions:
1) Is there an opportunity for you to reach out to your job shadow host to thank them, even though you are not able to attend, and arrange a time to speak or meet briefly to facilitate an exploratory career conversation?
2) In addition to the above, what is 1 thing you can do over your winter break (and before spring classes start) to help you move forward to clarifying or obtaining your career goals?
There will be several orientation session options, so that students will be able to attend at least one session. If you have a schedule conflict with all orientation sessions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time to come to the Career Center and receive the necessary information.
Send a personalized thank you note to each of your hosts including what you appreciated and found helpful from the shadowing opportunity.
Job Shadow Thank-You Note Example:
Dear Ms. Hawk,
Thank you for providing me with the opportunity to gain more detailed information about the (BLANK) industry. It was very helpful to learn about your position and hear your insight about the direction/growth/rewards and challenges of the (BLANK) industry. As a result of meeting you and your colleagues, I am even more interested in (major/industry of interest) and plan to take further classes in (BLANK) as you suggested! I hope to have more conversations with you in the future. Thank you for your time!