boston college career center
Experience a Day in the Life of (insert your choice here).
Open to all majors and class years, the Boston College Career Center Job Shadow program pairs undergraduates with individual host sites for a day-long immersion experience over Winter Break. Over the course of a day, you'll gain valuable exposure into a field of interest as well as mentorship from working professionals in the industry—leaving the program with new insight and contacts.
Join us in 2019
Program dates: January 3–8, 2019
Registration is open until November 12, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
Questions on how to register? View our directions
Why participate in a job shadow?
1. You will connect with alumni and employers
2. You will gain insight into what it would be like to work in an organization on a day-to-day basis
3. You will observe client/customer interactions and sit in on staff meetings
4. You will discuss your career pursuits and aspirations with professionals
Featured Employer Hosts:
- The View ABC
- Bain Capital
- U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security
- U.S. Olympic Committee
- Boston Children's Hospital
- Estee Lauder
- Ropes & Gray
- TJX Companies
- JFK Library Foundation
- Brookline Public Schools
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- 75% of hosts are Boston College alumni
- Hosts are located across the country in 22 different states
- Hosts represent all 9 industry clusters:
- Arts, Sports, Entertainment
- Business Services, Consulting, Managmeent
- Communications, Media, Marketing
- Consumer Products, Retail, Manufacturing
- Education, Non-Profit, Social Services
- Financial Services, Accounting, Real Estate
- Government, Law, Public Policy
- Healthcare, Life and Physical Sciences
- Technology, Start Ups, Entrepreneurship
1. Prepare your materials, including a resume and cover letter
2. Log into your EagleLink account
3. On the left-hand side, select the “Job Search” drop down menu and click “Search”
4. Click “See All Jobs” (below the red “Search” button on the right)
5. Select the “All Jobs Listings” drop down menu and click “Job Shadow Listings”
6. Use the location search bar to search for postings in specific locations
7. Click “More Filters” to search for job shadow postings using more specific criteria. Scroll down to find Job Shadow Specific filters. Do not use the other drop-down menus (i.e. Positon Type, Industry, and Job Function) to filter your results.
8. Follow the instructions provided in the description
Need help with your resume or are you having trouble applying? Visit us for a drop-in! View our hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have additional questions beyond what is listed below, please email email@example.com.
Each shadow opportunity lasts for one day between the dates of January 3-8, 2019.
Yes! As long as the shadow opportunities are on different days and you are able to arrive on time to each host site. The application will ask you how many shadows you would like to complete.
In the advanced search function to search hosts by industry, click on “More Filters” then under “Primary Industry Cluster (Job Shadow Openings)” select industries of interest. Hold down the “Ctrl” button to select more than one.
- You can select state(s) and shadow dates in advanced search "More Filters" as well.
- Ignore the “Job Shadow Flag” selection.
If you identify as a Montserrat student and financial burden would prevent you from completing a Job Shadow in your local area, please contact Jeremiah Jefferson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: these funds, provided by the Career Center to the Montserrat Office, would be exclusively intended for public transportation (e.g. MBTA train) to local job shadow sites, not Ubers, hotels, plane tickets, etc.
You are able to select up to three job shadows of interest when you apply. Our matching process will make every attempt to match you in at least one of your top three choices.
Students are matched based upon their industry and shadow experience preferences as well as the criteria of the hosting organization.
You will be contacted by a member of the Career Center staff with your job shadow match details by late November.
Yes. Once you are matched, you will be able to request early-move in on the Agora Portal.
There will be mandatory job shadow orientation sessions following Thanksgiving break that will help prepare you. The session will include questions to ask during the day, what to wear, how to follow-up, etc. For now, make a transportation plan and conduct initial research about the industry and company you would like to shadow.
Your host’s contact information will be emailed to you following your attendance at the orientation session.
We strongly encourage students to attend all job shadows that they have been matched with. Please email your Job Shadow host directly, and CC email@example.com at least 48 hours in advance. Failure to honor this commitment can result in loss of EagleLink access. In replacement of your job shadow experience, we ask you to reflect on the following questions:
1) Is there an opportunity for you to reach out to your job shadow host to thank them, even though you are not able to attend, and arrange a time to speak or meet briefly to facilitate an exploratory career conversation?
2) In addition to the above, what is 1 thing you can do over your winter break (and before spring classes start) to help you move forward to clarifying or obtaining your career goals?
There will be several orientation session options, so that students will be able to attend at least one session. If you have a schedule conflict with all orientation sessions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time to come to the Career Center and receive the necessary information.
Send a personalized thank you note to each of your hosts including what you appreciated and found helpful from the shadowing opportunity.
Job Shadow Thank-You Note Example:
Dear Ms. Hawk,
Thank you for providing me with the opportunity to gain more detailed information about the (BLANK) industry. It was very helpful to learn about your position and hear your insight about the direction/growth/rewards and challenges of the (BLANK) industry. As a result of meeting you and your colleagues, I am even more interested in (major/industry of interest) and plan to take further classes in (BLANK) as you suggested! I hope to have more conversations with you in the future. Thank you for your time!
The Job Shadow Program is best suited for those seeking to:
- Gain insight and learn more about a specific career field, and the day-to-day life within an organization.
- Observe a workplace environment and operations (e.g. client meetings, staff meetings, tools and resources used).
- Have conversations with a current employee regarding their career path.
Please submit an up-to-date resume, along with a brief 1-2 sentences demonstrating your interest in participating in the program.